Hiking is a popular outdoor activity that allows you to explore nature while getting some exercise. Having a good pair of hiking boots is essential to keep your feet comfortable and supported while trekking on diverse terrains.
When shopping for hiking boots, you don’t need to spend a fortune to get a high-quality pair. There are excellent options available for under $100. This article will highlight the 5 best hiking boots under $100 for 2024 based on critical features like traction, stability, comfort and durability. I focus specifically on boots available on Amazon so you can easily purchase them online.
What to Look for in Hiking Boots under $100
When evaluating budget hiking boots, there are a few key features I took into consideration:
- Traction – Quality traction keeps you steady on slippery slopes and uneven ground. Look for rugged lug patterns on the outsoles.
- Ankle support – Taller ankle cuffs better support and protect your ankles.
- Comfort features – Cushioning, proper fit and moisture wicking linings make long miles comfortable.
- Durability – Durable uppers and welted construction increases longevity.
- Water resistance – Waterproof membranes help keep feet dry when encountering streams or rain.
I compared numerous models available on Amazon under $100 to select the best options using these criteria.
The 5 Best Hiking Boots under $100 for 2024
1. Timberland White Ledge Hiking Boots – Best Overall Under $100
Timberland White Ledge Hiking Boots
- Rugged traction lugs with premium leather and mesh uppers
- Padded tongue and collar
- Shock absorbing EVaA midsole
- Lightweight and comfortable fit
The Timberland White Ledge hiking boots top my list for offering the best overall value and performance. I rank these as the number one hiking boots under $100 for 2024.
They feature multi directional traction lugs that grip slippery slopes securely. The premium full grain waterproof leather and mesh uppers also provide support and breathability.
Inside, the padded tongue and collar cushion your ankle while allowing a comfortable fit. The EVA midsole absorbs shock for reduced foot fatigue. Customers praise how lightweight yet supportive these Timberland hiking boots feel on all day treks.
2. Merrell Moab 2 Hiking Shoes – Best Lightweight Option
Merrell Moab 2 Hiking Shoes
- Vibram traction lug outsoles
- Protective toe caps
- Breathable mesh upper
- Comfort cushioning
For hikers focused on traveling light, the Merrell Moab 2 hiking shoes make an excellent lightweight choice. The low profile athletic shoe style boot cuts weight without sacrificing performance.
Rugged Vibram rubber makes up the sole unit with deep reaching lugs. Protective toe caps add durability so rocks and roots don’t damage your feet. Above, the mesh upper enhance breathe-ability keeping your feet cooler.
Underfoot, a cushioned EVA midsole softens impact while an air cushion heel absorbs shocks. The arch shank provides torsional stability as well. Multiple features make the Merrell Moab hiking shoes supportive and comfortable for hitting trails.
As a lightweight hiking option capable of rugged terrain under $100, Merrell’s Moab 2 earns the number two spot.
3. Northside Renegade Hiking Boots – Most Durable
Northside Renegade Hiking Boots
- Injection molded TPR outsoles
- Waterproof protection
- Padded collar
- Rustproof hardware
The Northside Renegade hiking boots shine for durability. From the injection molded TPR outsoles to waterproof uppers, these hiking boots withstand serious use without falling apart.
Underfoot, the rugged lug pattern outsoles prevent slips even on wet terrain. The waterproof leather uppers also keep moisture out increasing longevity by protecting the interior lining.
Padded collars cushion your ankles for comfort mile after mile.
The lace hardware utilizes rustproof materials as well so they don’t corrode due to repeated exposure to water when hiking.
As one Customer states after rigorous use, “these boots show almost no wear after hundreds of miles of hiking.” For impressive resilience under $100, the Renegade by Northside deserves recognition as the most durable option.
4. Columbia Newton Ridge Hiking Boots – Best Waterproofing
Columbia Newton Ridge Hiking Boots
- Omni Grip rubber outsoles
- Superior cushioning
- Waterproof full grain leather
- Lightweight comfort
The Columbia Newton Ridge Plus waterproof hiking boots provide the best waterproof protection under $100. I rank them highly for keeping feet dry.
The boot’s full grain leather upper contains a waterproof membrane sealing water out. Columbia incorporates their Omni Grip lug outsoles for steady traction even when surfaces get slick.
Inside, a Techlite midsole offers superior cushioning and high energy return reducing foot fatigue. Combined with lightweight construction, the Newton Ridge Plus boots enhance comfort for all day use.
For their excellent waterproofing and comfortable support, the Columbia Newton Ridge boots earn the number four spot on my list of top choices under $100. The water protection helps expand their use into rainy hikes or crossing streams.
5. Adidas Terrex AX3 Hiking Boots – Best Grip
Adidas Terrex AX3 Hiking Boots
- Adidas Traxion grip outsoles
- Molded sockliner
- Durable ripstop upper
- Rear pull loops for entry
The adidas Terrex AX3 hiking boots shine for traction making maneuvers easy on rough terrain. Their sticky rubber outsoles grasp surfaces tenaciously to prevent slips.
The outsole utilizes adidas specialized Traxion technology with triangular gripping claws to bite into earth. Further enhancing stability, a molded EVA midsole and sockliner cushions landings while supporting feet.
Above, the synthetic ripstop upper resists tearing when scrambling through brush. Convenient pull loops in the rear also make sliding your feet in and out of the Terrex AX3 boots simple.
For their phenomenal grip and traction, adidas Terrex AX3 ranks number five as a stable hiking option to conquer diverse topography. The superior traction makes them best for grasping slick terrain.
How I Made My Recommendations
To create this guide of the top five hiking boots under $100, I researched over 30 models available on Amazon taking into consideration key metrics like materials, traction, support and buyer reviews.
I specifically focused on identifying hiking boots suitable for diverse terrain that maximize durability, stability and comfort in an affordable sub $100 price range.
Criteria I analyzed closely when evaluating the best inexpensive hiking boots included:
- Outsole Traction – The lugs depth and layout impacts stability tremendously. Deeper multidirectional claws perform better grasping slippery surfaces. Brand specific traction tech like Vibram or adidas Traxion rubber enhances grip even more.
- Uppers Material – Leather, mesh and synthetics each have tradeoffs. Leather = more durable but less breathable. Mesh = more airflow but less protective. I aimed for boots balancing both.
- Waterproofing – Waterproof membranes help seal out external moisture for dry feet and longevity. Fully waterproof models expand seasonal usage into cold and wet conditions.
- Ankle Support – Mid height ankle cuffs better stabilize and protect joints when maneuvering over uneven terrain minimizing risk of sprains.
- Comfort Features – Shock absorbing midsoles, padded collars and wicking linings make long distances more pleasant.
By evaluating over 30 budget hiking boots based on these key metrics, I surfaced the five highest quality options available from major sport brands on Amazon for under $100.
Frequently Asked Questions
What features make hiking boots good quality?
Excellent hiking boots share common features that improve traction, stability and comfort including:
- Lug Depth – Deeper multidirectional lugs better grasp slick muddy or loose surfaces for stability.
- Ankle Support – Taller ankle cuffs protect joints and improve balance on uneven terrain.
- Shock Absorption – Cushioned midsoles reduce foot fatigue helping you hike longer distances comfortably.
- Toe Protection – Durable toe caps prevent stubbing injuries from rocks and roots.
Additional characteristics like waterproof membranes, quick lacing hardware and convenient pull loops for entry enhance functionality and user experience.
Is suede or leather better for hiking boots?
Full grain leather generally makes the most durable hiking boot material capable of withstanding scrapes from brush and rock. Leather also naturally water resistant. Suede lacks the tear resistance of leather and shows scuffs more easily.
However, suede does offer more breathability. The best hiking boots blend leather and mesh panels to balance durability, protection and ventilation.
How should hiking boots fit?
Hiking boots perform best when they fit snugly without restricting circulation. Aim for about a thumbs width of space between your toes and the boot’s front to allow descending downhill without jamming your foot.
The uppers should wrap your foot and ankle tightly while allowing full ankle flex and calf circulation. Break boots in before extended use to mold fit.
Can I resole hiking boots?
Yes, resoling worn out hiking boots rather than buying new extends their lifespan cost effectively. Most boots constructed using Goodyear welt allow removing the outsole and replacing it once tread wears down. Resoling preserves the molded shape and broken in uppers. Cobblers can replace hiking boot soles once lugs flatten for under $100 preserving your investment.
Getting out into nature and exploring scenic locations makes hiking a rewarding hobby. Protecting your feet helps maximize comfort allowing you to journey longer and farther.
You don’t need excessively expensive boots to traverse moderate trails and rugged terrain comfortably. As this guide outlines, high performing hiking boots are available under $100.
Based on traction, support, durability and buyer feedback, I recommend the Timberland White Ledge as the best overall hiking boots under $100. Rugged and comfortable, they deliver fantastic value.
For lightweight trekking, the Merrell Moab 2 makes a great choice. And for superior waterproofing, go with the Columbia Newton Ridge. Use this guide to find your perfect pair that fits your budget and hiking needs!